Center for Spiritual Life
The Center for Spiritual Life provide opportunities for individuals to develop a personal awareness of God's guidance in their lives and to support them as they apply that guidance in their everyday lives.
The Center for Spiritual life is responsible for:
- Covenant Disciple Groups: small, long-term groups, which meet weekly. The covenant encourages them in daily practices such as prayer, good works, justice-making and worship. These are long term groups, which support their members in their growth and practice of discipleship.
- Disciple Bible Study Classes: A yearlong Bible study class. Classes meet weekly and learn through shared discussion and prayer. Strong friendships are developed as participants grow in their understanding and response to God's Word.
- Intercessory Prayer Group: This group meets monthly. Members commit to praying for the requests that are submitted through the prayer request cards on Sunday morning.
- Taize Services: During Lent and Advent, Asbury First offers a Taize-style worship. Songs, periods of silence, one scripture reading, and Holy Communion make up a 45 minute service.
- Labyrinth: Located in Fellowship Hall, the labyrinth is an ancient spiritual practice used to enhance one's spiritual journey. It is available for personal meditation on the second Wednesday of each month.
- Retreats, Workshops, Lectures: Asbury First offers retreats, workshops, and lectures regularly throughout the year. Well-known speakers as well as our own clergy provide leadership. Information on these events is available in the bulletin and on the website as they occur.
- Discernment Groups: These are small groups of people who gather together, usually for a period of six weeks, to listen to and with others for the movement of the Spirit in their lives. Lead by trained laypersons, these are particularly helpful groups for those who find themselves in times of transition and decision-making.