Currently Seeking: Director of the Outreach Center
Asbury First United Methodist Church (www.asburyfirst.org), a large, vibrant, outreach-oriented, progressive, mainline church located in the heart of Rochester, NY, is seeking a full time Director of the Outreach Center.
The Director of the Outreach Center will be responsible for providing hands-on supervision and management of on-campus poverty-relief efforts, which relate to serving and working with guests (of any faith or no faith) to provide meals, groceries, clothing and medical care. He/she will work closely with the Minister for Outreach as well as the Outreach Center Committee, to improve programs and explore new programming, recruit, coordinate and train volunteers; and manage budgets and grants activity.
The new Outreach Center at Asbury First brings together all on-campus food, clothing, and health ministries into one fully-accessible and humanizing space. Construction of the Center will begin this fall. Prior to the pandemic, the Dining and Caring Center was serving approximately 35k meals a year, the Storehouse (clothing) was serving 6k families, and the UR Well Clinic was serving about 600 patients. The Director of the Outreach Center will work with each of these vital ministries to help prepare and transition them into a shared services approach in a new space.
The successful candidate will have at least three to five years’ experience in management of an organization, especially not-for-profit human services or poverty-related programs. The candidate should also be able to manage the tension between social justice and immediate charity needs, and thrive in a hands-on, high-energy, fast-paced environment.
Asbury First United Methodist Church is strongly committed to building a diverse staff and keeping racial equity as a priority in our hiring practices to include those with varying abilities, backgrounds and experiences.
Position Title: Director of the Outreach Center
Reports To: Minister for Outreach
General Role and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for the primary, hands-on supervision and management of on-campus poverty-relief efforts of Asbury First United Methodist Church’s Outreach Center. Current ministries of the Outreach Center include: The Dining and Caring Center, the Grocery Bag Ministry, the Storehouse, the UR Well Clinic, and the Community Garden.
The faith-based center’s day-to-day activities relate to serving and working with guests of any faith, or no faith, to provide meals, groceries, clothing and medical care.
The Director of the Outreach Center will recruit, coordinate and train volunteers for all the ministries, in conjunction with the Minister for Outreach and Senior Minister. Also, the Director of the Outreach Center will effectively communicate the mission of center services to a variety of constituents interested in participating in the mission.
The Director of the Outreach Center reports directly to the Minister for Outreach and works hand-in-glove with the Outreach Center Committee to improve programs and explore new programming.
- Oversee day-to-day operation of the center and maintain compliance with health, safety and labor regulations.
- Supervise procurement and distribution of all goods and services required to operate each ministry of the center and ensure that adequate supplies are always available.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with community-based resources.
- Communicate and work with team leadership for each ministry.
- Recruit, train, schedule and evaluate staff and volunteers for each ministry at the center.
- Oversee communications and coordination with security staff and facility staff
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for all volunteer and paid positions.
- Develop and maintain effective communication with guests, volunteers, church members and related support groups through means such as newsletters, meeting reports, updates and presentations.
- Work with the Outreach Center Committee to prepare the annual budget. Monitor budget throughout the year.
- Evaluate existing programs and research new program possibilities. Collect data to inform decisions and grant applications. Regularly assess needs of the community and guests for future programs or improvement of existing programs.
- Participate in grant proposals and fundraising activities.
- Prepare reports, annual grant updates, and analyses of the Center’s activities.
- Participate in periodic review/development of the Center's mission statement and strategic plan.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Be able to provide creative leadership and effectively manage the tension between social justice and immediate charity needs.
- Demonstrate compassion for Asbury’s outreach missions, guests, volunteers and staff.
- Have at least three to five years experience in management of an organization, especially in not-for-profit human services or poverty-related programs.
- Be able to balance working cooperatively in team settings and working independently.
- Thrive in a hands-on, high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Bring experience and training in issues including but not limited to mental illness, drug addiction, poverty, LGBTQ inclusion, trauma, white fragility and racism.
- Have experience managing food service or other procurement and service-delivery programs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and facility in using office-management software such as the Microsoft and/or Google office programs.
Ideally, candidates would also:
- Be comfortable working in a faith-based setting, regardless of personal faith.
- Have experience assessing programs at a macro level.
- Be willing to pursue additional training and education to further the Center’s goals.
- Demonstrate strategic planning and execution as well as outcome-based analysis.
- Be able to attend meetings and events outside of normal business hours.
- Have a college degree(s) or commensurate experience relating to the issues above.