Center for Spiritual Life
The Center for Spiritual Life provide opportunities for individuals to develop a personal awareness of God's guidance in their lives and to support them as they apply that guidance in their everyday lives.
The Center for Spiritual life is responsible for:
- Covenant Disciple Groups: small, long-term groups, which meet weekly. The covenant encourages them in daily practices such as prayer, good works, justice-making and worship. These are long term groups, which support their members in their growth and practice of discipleship.
- Disciple Bible Study Classes: A yearlong Bible study class. Classes meet weekly and learn through shared discussion and prayer. Strong friendships are developed as participants grow in their understanding and response to God's Word.
- Intercessory Prayer Group: This group meets monthly. Members commit to praying for the requests that are submitted through the prayer request cards on Sunday morning.
- Taize Services: During Lent and Advent, Asbury First offers a Taize-style worship. Songs, periods of silence, one scripture reading, and Holy Communion make up a 45 minute service.
- Labyrinth: Located in Fellowship Hall, the labyrinth is an ancient spiritual practice used to enhance one's spiritual journey. It is available for personal meditation on the second Wednesday of each month.
- Retreats, Workshops, Lectures: Asbury First offers retreats, workshops, and lectures regularly throughout the year. Well-known speakers as well as our own clergy provide leadership. Information on these events is available in the bulletin and on the website as they occur.
- Discernment Groups: These are small groups of people who gather together, usually for a period of six weeks, to listen to and with others for the movement of the Spirit in their lives. Lead by trained laypersons, these are particularly helpful groups for those who find themselves in times of transition and decision-making.
Get Your Devotional for Advent 2017
The Spiritual Life Ministry team offers this devotional that we believe will enhance your journey through Advent. Each day you will read the personal stories and reflections of members and friends of Asbury First relating to this year’s chosen Advent themes:
Week One Hope
Week Two Love
Week Three Joy
Week Four Peace
We encourage your Advent experience to be one of noticing. Notice the sights, sounds, and messages of Jesus’ Coming. While in worship, notice the Advent wreath, choir and organ music, Scripture readings and the proclamation of God’s Word from the pulpit.
Notice while in nature, at work or play, with family or friends or in quiet reflection. What does it mean to you that Jesus Comes?
Prepare your heart to receive the Coming of Jesus, anticipate the Joy of this promised gift for you and for all people, and consider how God’s Son is the source of your Hope, Love, and Peace.
During this Advent, let us pray together...
-Karen Barner, Cindy Burkhartt, Charlotte Craig, David Crawford, Bill Freed, Linda Freed, Ida Hickman, Kathi Johnson, Bonnie Matthaidess, Penny Peterson, Kathy Rhode, Christine Shaw, Jeanne Stickney, Lois Wentis, and Kathy Thiel