Asbury First Leads City Sing Coalition
Get a .pdf of the Song Book HERE.
Rochestarians of many faiths and backgrounds will gather at the Public Market, 280 N. Union Street, 14609 at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 20 and march in groups through the Marketview Heights neighborhood, singing songs of peace, and of the holiday season. The event is free and the public is welcome.
"After a hard year, we want to do something positive to respond to the violence we've seen both locally and nationally this year," said the Rev. Dr. Stephen M. Cady II, senior minister of Asbury First. "When we turn on the TV or read the newspaper, it's easy to lose sight of all the good that happens in our community and beyond. This is one way of reminding us that there is much to celebrate in this community," states Cady.
Participants are invited to bring a candle with them; songbooks will be provided. Singers will gather first at the Public Market, and then will join individual groups that will move out into the surrounding neighborhood to sing. Songs celebrating peace and the holidays have been gathered by the various participating faith communities and organizations.
Participating organizations include:
- Asbury First United Methodist Church
- Third Presbyterian Church
- Temple B'rith Kodesh
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church
- Mt. Olivet Baptist Church
- M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence
- Enkyoji Buddhist Temple of Rochester
- The Community Place of Greater Rochester
- Marketview Heights Association
- Islamic Center of Rochester
- Nazareth College's Hickey Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue
- The Episcopal Diocese of Rochester
- The Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester
- Hindu Temple of Rochester
- Artisan Church
- First Universalist Church of Rochester
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester
- Gurudwara of Rochester
- Temple Beth David
- South Wedge Mission
- Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints
Instructions for the day of the event:
Meeting Spot: We will meet under the first shed across from Cure and The Best Coffee in the Market. The spot will be designated by a peace flag.
• Coffee will be provided by Cure while people arrive, and will be on a table under the peace flag.
PLEASE PARK INSIDE THE MARKET, NOT ON THE STREET
• Sing two songs together as a large group.
• Walk out and sing – 4:15
Return: Singers will return to the market around 5:00/5:15.
• Farewell & Thank You.
• Parting Song
• There are 15 routes for singing groups. The distance of the routes vary, so that people can choose one suitable to their level. A.ll routes are under one mile
• People are welcome to stay at the market and sing if they are not up to walking.
• Songbooks will be provided. Song lyrics and music can also be accessed digitally.
• People are welcome to bring a source of light: candle, flashlight, glow stick, etc.
The City of Rochester and the local police precinct are aware of this event, and that we will be walking into the local neighborhood.